Managing debt takes persistence and dedication but once you rein in your debt, you'll be glad you did, and you'll be much better off financially and emotionally.
Here are a few ways to get you started toward debt elimination:
- Pay more than the minimum payment each month. Did you know the minimum payment amount is usually 2 to 3% of your balance? On a $2,500 credit card balance with a 2 percent minimum payment, you would pay only $50 toward decreasing that debt and the majority would be applied towards interest and not principal.
Pay a little more than the minimum payment required each month and you'll be surprised at how fast that credit card balance decreases.
- Call the credit card companies and cancel all of your credit cards except for the one that gives you the lowest interest rate. Don't use that credit card unless absolutely necessary.
- Gather all of your most recent credit card statements, sit down with pencil and paper, and write down the balance of each debt and the interest rate charged. Beginning with the lowest interest rate debt(s), pay only the minimum amount due.
- On your highest interest rate debt, pay the minimum payment plus any additional amount you can afford. Once this debt is paid off, go to your next highest interest rate debt and apply the money you were paying toward the first debt towards the second debt. Also add the minimum you were paying on the second debt and keep paying the minimum due on the others.
Continue to do this until all of your debts are paid off. This may take a few years but don't get discouraged. The feeling of freedom you get when you are debt-free is priceless!
- Pay more than the minimum due.
- Cancel your credit cards.
- Don't get discouraged.
Get out of debt
starting today. Call InCharge Debt Solutions at 877-906-5599 and receive a FREE credit counseling session or use our self-paced online counseling program